Who has time for a break in the middle of March? This fat guy does when the break revolves around my work schedule (ah the benefits of being a teacher…give me a hallelujah would ya?) but really who needs a break from a week like this upcoming one. I can’t see myself wanting to miss it.
Let me explain with a numbered list of fantastic things I get to do this week.
- Waking up early this morning to begin scouring the net for information on each and every team in the field of 68 in this year’s edition of the NCAA’s March Madness. This is hour one of a 72 hour grind before the tourney begins. Thankfully I have a supportive family and I’ve put them to work immediately. The Association and the Merger are covering all things San Diego St., Morehead St (pretty dirty name, No?) and St. Peter’s (equally dirty for the truly troubled like Turk Shanks). You can’t really call it child labour if there’s no guarantee that I’ll pay the young fellas, can you?
- In another corner of our humble abode I have the First Lady breaking down tape with me of Tennessee (I’ve made assurances to her that Pat Summit isn’t going to suit up in a pant suit for this game to patrol the sideline with Bruce Pearl, so the First Lady is good on the maize and blue for this one) so I can try to help my team the Michigan Wolverines get out of a 8/9 game with a victory. Again this is just the start of the process. No brackets will be touched until Wednesday at the earliest so that leaves much time for bracket tinkering.
- I have to continue my preparation for my Fantasy Baseball Draft which will take effect on Saturday. This has been a long off-season for my championship squad and there’s been much turnover in my roster. Thankfully I had a little foresight to see that I’d be busy this week with many things so I put in the prerequisite work of analyzing many depth charts earlier on in the offseason, so come Saturday I should be ready not only to raise my championship banner, get my championship trophy, drink copious amounts of alcohol, run up Hooks tab and yet still draft myself a contender. It’s called multi-tasking folks, multi-tasking……
- St. Paddy’s Day. I could probably just leave this as self-explanatory but this large cup of java from McDonalds has me feeling jibbly so I won’t. St. Paddy’s Day is a wonderful day where we celebrate Sir Paddy McSweeney and all his Irishness. I too become Irish for a standard 8 hour period, where I drink copious amounts of alcohol and rack up Hooks tab. Suddenly as I write this I’ve come to realize that St. Paddy’s Day is very similar to Fantasy Baseball Draft day minus the drafting of a championship team.
- Preparing for the 1st annual Johnny Mac Euchre classic, which happens on Thursday night in birthplace of Wayne Gretzky. This card tournament is a precursor to the world series of Euchre tournament which features some of the all-time greats like Billy Pinch and his son Justin. I’ll have to channel my skills for this event. Truth be told I’ve might not have played Euchre since my (2) senior year(s) in high school, so I’ll to rely on my instincts and drunken images of Billy Pinch on my shoulder giving me advice “Lone hand….Lone hand!”
- Finally make a declaration of what I’ll be giving up for Lent. I’m a horrible catholic by many standards (sorry Pope Benedict) but I’m pretty much prepared to make a nomination.
- This week I’m ready to inform the blogosphere about my ill-fated Tim Horton’s boycott. The media ban that Tim Horton’s put me under is almost ready to be lifted so click back often for me to fill you in on this dilemma.
- Spend time with my fantastic family. Other than researching and making selections for the Madness that is March my young fellas are relatively free of committment this week. I hope to spend as much time with them and the First Lady that I can.
So you can see that even though I’m under the guise of March Break, there really is no time to stop. Come back to the little blog that couldn’t as much as you can. 500,000 hits is just around the corner. Next stop: Canadian Blogging Award nomination for my mediocre postings. Go Blue!